My heart pounded and my legs threatened to give way beneath me. I forced my feet to step closer to the edge. Maybe if I looked a second time, it wouldn't seem so bad.
Nope...I was wrong.
The great skyscraper stood two-hundred stories in the air. Up this high, the noise of the city below was muted by the wind howling in my ears.
Attached to the building I stood upon was a thick, rope cable, stretching across a thirty feet of thin air to the neighboring building - the next step to reaching the final destination.
I've done this all my life, I told myself. Why. Am. I. So. Scared!
My body felt as if it were tipping forward and I could feel myself falling.
Casper grabbed my shoulder from behind and pulled me away from the height. I stumbled backward, bumping into his chest.
"I can't do it," I whispered.
"It's okay," Casper said gently. I met his eyes with my wide ones and he nodded. I knew he meant it, but I couldn't bring myself to believe him. Of course it wasn't okay. How could it be?
I shook my head. "No. It's not. If we don't do this, all of....everything will have been for nothing."
Casper shrugged as if it were a minor issue. "We'll go back into hiding."
My friend never ceased to surprise me with his unworried nature and the way he was calm in every situation - even when his life was being threatened!
"I'm such a failure. A wimp," I said, raising my voice. "I've ruined it all. Joden was right."
"Don't do that to yourself, Rae," Casper said firmly. "You are not a failure. You are perfect for this mission. I couldn't have found a more smart, fitting partner."
I stared at him, holding his honest gaze for longer than I had ever before. Casper never lied. Sure, he liked to tease and joke, but when he was serious, he never played around. With those few words, I felt the dying embers in my heart give burst to a new flame.
You can do this, Rae.
Did Casper say that? I wasn't sure. Sometimes, my thoughts were so loud, I believed I had spoken them.
Strength exploded within me. I turned back to the cable and did not sway. Keeping my eyes looking straight ahead, I placed my right magnetic boot onto the metal rope. My knees trembled as I stepped up with my left foot. The magnetic boot tread stuck faithfully. Arms spread out like wings, I imagined I was flying.
Eyes on the prize, eyes on the prize, I repeated over and over in my mind. Birds aren't afraid of heights.
I could feel Casper's presence on the rope behind me, but the cable was taut and did not bend beneath our weight.
In the short amount of time I was able to hold my breath, the other building's roof met my feet. I fell to my knees and collapsed on my back.
Casper was laughing, but I didn't care. I smiled and giggled in hysteric relief. Reaching out, Casper took my hand and pulled me to my feet.
"Think you can do that about five more times?" he asked, still smiling.
"Ha, funny!" I said, giving him a shove. But his smile dropped.
"You're kidding, right?" I tried again, waiting for his burst of laughter after which he'd assure me it was just a joke.
Instead, he winced.

Please say there's another part! It's really good, great job Livvie! :D
ReplyDeleteSo, do you get your inspiration from pictures, or add pictures once it's written?
There isn't! I'm sorry =P
ReplyDeleteI get my inspiration from the picture =)
Thank you so much for reading, even though I tend to leave ya hangin' there =P
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIt's fun reading it! And I don't mind being left hanging, as long as I can do the same to you with short story in my comments... ;)
ReplyDeleteHaha deal ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat! ;)
ReplyDeleteWhoa, this is awesome! I love the character names by the way, I can never think of good ones!
ReplyDeleteThank youuu! =)
ReplyDeleteOk, this may not be a cliff hanger, but what do you think? :)
ReplyDeleteI stood there for what seemed like hours. Beginning to wish that I’d never come to the Regency dance. Nobody seemed to notice I was there. I silently scanned the room with my hazel eyes, wondering why I had come in the first place. Then, of all times, they started playing my favorite song. I tried to melt into the crowd of young people gathered around the tables. Right then, I noticed a young man standing by himself, shyly watching the dancing. He was dressed in a smart costume with a vest, waistcoat, and tall boots. I couldn’t help but wonder why he didn’t dance, there were plenty of pretty girls near him without a partner. He seemed to be enjoying the music immensely though, keeping time with his foot. When he caught my look and smiled, I quickly turned around and saw my sister walk up. “Hey Jenny,” she said, “Why aren’t you dancing?” I shuffled my feet, and shrugged nonchalantly. “Oh, I don’t really feel like it I guess.” She shrugged. “Ok, well, see you later, my partner is waiting.” I watched silently as she walked back to her handsome partner. How come the boys only ask my sisters to dance? I decided to sneak out the backdoor and took a deep breath. Oh, this corset is squeezing the life out of me! Why did I have to wear it anyway? I suddenly smiled to myself. Silly me, it wouldn’t be a Regency dance if us girls didn’t wear corsets. I was about to go back indoors when I ran into the boy I was watching. “Opps, I’m sorry, I…I…” I stuttered, quickly backing away. He cleared his throat. “Uh, that’s alright, I didn’t…” I smiled, realizing how silly we probably looked. “I’m Jenny Hunter.” He bowed slightly. “My name is Caleb Toggish. Um…Pleased to meet you.” I looked past him into the room. “So…Do you like dancing?” he shrugged. “I don’t know, it’s alright I guess. You?” I rubbed my arm. “Sometimes, but I don’t get to very often.” “Why not?” I felt my cheeks redden. “Well, I don’t, uh…” he smiled and offered me his arm, “Never mind.” I accepted it and we both walked inside. And as soon as we got in, they announced another dance was about to begin. Caleb turned to me. “Shall we dance?”
Aww that's such a cute story! I love it!!! =D
ReplyDeleteNo pressure buuut...more??? I love reading your short stories!
Aww, thanks! ^_^
ReplyDeleteSure, I could write some more for ya! Buuuut, I'm gonna be expecting some from you too! ;)
Here's another one! :)
ReplyDeleteOnce again, I found myself on the ground. My horse standing over me, smiling in her own horsey type way. “Ugh! Why do I always fall off?!” I huffed, frowning up at her in dismay. She reached out her soft muzzle and nibbled at my hair. As if she understood me, she seemed to say, “Oh Anna, you still haven’t learned to hold on.” I rubbed my sore backside as I got up. Breathing in a breath of cold February air, I swung myself back up onto Flash’s back. “Alright Flash, lets’ try that again.” I nudged her into a trot, and then urged her into a canter. I patted her shoulder. “That’s it girl!” she then broke into a full speed gallop. I let out a whoop, “Woohoo!!” We galloped back around the open pasture, the bright morning sun shining down through the trees, sending the morning shadows running. I turned Flash in the direction of the jump; we slowed to a fast canter. “Alright,” I breathed, “here we go!” I felt a surge of excitement and anticipation running up and down my spine. Flash flew over the jump in a perfect leap. I, on the other hand, didn’t. “Yeow!” I landed on the soft moss that padded my landing. I lay there panting for breath. “That’s it Flash. I quit, I’ll never get over that jump, and five times falling off is all I can stand!” she trotted back and gave me a look that said, “Just once more Anna, you can do it!” I sighed, “Oh alright, but just once more.” I gingerly climbed onto her back. We galloped back around the field once again, the sun now shining bright; as we came up to the jump, I held onto her back with my knees, “Let’s do this Flash!” We came up to the jump, I gripped the reins tighter. I actually stayed on Flash as we sailed over the jump. When we landed on the other side, I was so excited, I, well, tumbled off into the soft grass. I wasn’t hurt in the least, and I surprised myself by bursting out laughing. “I did it! We finally did it Flash!”
Like it? :)
Aw I love it!! Cute horsey =)
ReplyDeleteWhat kind of riding do you do? Do you jump?
Thanks! :)
ReplyDeleteI usually just ride bareback around the pasture, and sometimes get to go trial riding behind our property. The last time I tried jumping was about the ten years ago I think. I was dumped into some thistles. Ouch. :P Annnnd, my horse doesn't like jumping anyway. :( ;)
You're welcome!
ReplyDeleteOoh that does not sound fun =/ I only tried jumping once and it was during an English riding lesson. My teacher was one of the more pushy and harsh type of people. I made it over the jump, but my mom says my legs nearly left the saddle!
Ugh I hated English riding. So stiff and...uncomfortable, for you and the horse. Bareback is freedom ^_^
Yeah, I don't really care for English riding either. I agree, bareback is freedom! :)
ReplyDelete