2/21/14

April

Yes, I know it's not even March yet.

Do you know why I'm looking forward to April??

April 1st - The Bravest Princess by E.D. Baker will be released!
April 22nd - The Boundless, a new Kenneth Oppel book!
April 29th - The next Hero's Guide book by Christopher Healy! This time, we'll be learning how to be an outlaw...or, if you're smart and don't listen to Duncan's 'advice', how not to be an outlaw ;)

And then on May 6th, we have Dream Treaders by Wayne Thomas Batson! I really hope it's one of his lighter books...those pirate ones he wrote, and the curse of the spider king books were too dark and weird. And rather violent. Seriously, does a Christian writer need to have all that in a book? The Door Within was realistic enough. He didn't have to ruin his other books.

In the meantime, I borrowed two new books: The Twistrose Key by Tone Almhjell, and Sky Jumpers by Peggy Eddleman. I started with The Twistrose Key which turned out to be another wintry book! The plot is a little too hard to type out for you, but it's good so far =) Especially if you're as in love with wintry story settings as I am (Narnia, The Wolf Princess, Frozen, and, of course, my own in-progress winter story - Crystalian).


On a complete change of subject, I am working on drawing an imitation this beautiful piece of digital art.

It's actually art from the cover of a book I don't care to read. Isn't it gorgeous? The way the artist captured the strength and intensity of the winged horses...it's amazing.

So far, my drawing consists of the horses and the girl's head. I shall post the finished piece on my drawing blog (hopefully) soon =)

Happy Friday!

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh! I saw 'Dream Treaders' and got really excited!! I totally agree with you about his other books. I haven't read his pirate books, but I did read 'The Curse of the Spider King' and it was just....so dark. I really hope 'Dream Treaders' is more like 'The Door Within' Have you read 'Dark Sea Annals' ? I haven't, but he wrote those too.

    Ohh! Kenneth Oppel? That perked my ears up too. I wonder why? Hmm.... ;)
    Is that related to Airborn? Or is Airborn a stand alone book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...no, I don't think I've even heard of Dark Sea Annals. What are they about?

    Airborn is the first book of three. There's also Skybreaker and Starclimber. They're all sooo good! Have you been reading Airborn? No pressure, I just hope you like it =)
    The Boundless is just a completely different book than Airborn, but it sounds like the same type of writing style he used in the Airborn books. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure, I haven't read them actually. He posted on his blog recently that he's praying for it to turn out to be a huge series. He's aiming for 10 books in that series!

    Ah! Okay, I thought there might have been a sequel to Airborn, but I wasn't sure about a third book (:

    Yes! I've been reading it, I like it so far! Along with Dragon Slippers (Yess, I'm FINALLY reading that...haha) I returned the copy of Airborn I had out of the library. No need for that anymore (;

    Yeah, I love it when you find an author, and then suddenly, you want to read all of his books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just looked into the Dark Sea Annals...they look good! Maybe my library has them.
    Dream Treaders is looking so good! I may just buy it off amazon as soon as it's released.

    How do you like Dragon Slippers?

    Haha I know! I'm already working on a long mental list of books I want for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I can hardly wait for it to come out!

    Dragon Slippers has been good! It's a little slow right now, I'm somewhere over the middle of the book. Have you read the other two books in the series? I'm trying to decide if I want to read them or not.


    Hmmm....I might have to send you your present early so you don't ask for it for your birthday....haha (;

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea you have to sort of get through her new job life, but I promise, it helps develop the story and make it realistic!
    Yep! I like the second one (Dragon Flight), but the third one (Dragon Spear) was pretty boring.
    Ooh! Keep in mind the the second Princess Academy book (Palace of Stone) was really good! I expected not to like it, 'cause my sister thought it was boring. But I loved it!

    Aah! You're making me so curious as to what birthday present you're talking about! Give me a hint so I don't ask for it? ;) Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete